Highland Opening

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Jimbo23

Re: Highland Opening

Post by Jimbo23 »

And a quick follow up to my above comment, it is absolutely DISGUSTING that the region only has 31 sectional championship coaches coming from only 20 different schools over the last 30 years. The state of region football is not great.

VPISU

Post by VPISU »

It has been a decade or two since there has been any relevance in Region Football.

warrior

Post by warrior »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:45 pm
I'd be willing to bet less than 10-15% of all NWI head coaches in history even have a postseason trophy. The number of those individuals with a 65% win percentage is probably near the same. Percentage's are hard, I know. And if you're one of those that thinks trophies are the only thing that make a quality high school head football coach, you have even less of an idea than I thought you do.
I tend to be sarcastic which admittedly isn't always the best approach, so I'm going to try and have a civil conversation. If you want to trade barbs I really do have better things to do than be on this message board with about 5 people:

- See above in bold and underlined. You attacked my intelligence/math while using improper punctuation. It's percentages, not percentage's. Please don't give me the "grammar police" because at one time I was the grammar police. If you're going to come at me, make sure your own house is in order.
-BG might end up being the greatest coach and developer of young men in Region history. But, the guy was a head coach for FOUR YEARS and had some decent success. If my memory serves, he had some dudes on that team which may or may not be attributable to him. Secondly, he then left to become OC at Munster for reasons that are unknown to me. But you have to admit those teams were awful, including the offense. Go to John Harrell and see how many points they scored in the seasons he was the OC-not good. Point being, if he's that great with the development of the Jimmy's and Joe's where was the growth? Maybe he was handcuffed by the HC? Again, I have no clue.
-I have no personal animus toward BG. He was a heck of a player in his day at Gtown. I just disagree that a guy is in the upper echelon with so little head coaching experience. And as I mentioned earlier, let's give it 3-4 years and you can throw it in my face or vice versa. Of course, this board will have to still be up and running.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

VPISU wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:32 pm
It has been a decade or two since there has been any relevance in Region Football.
Closer to 2. This project took me down a rabbit hole I wish I wouldn't have gone down but O MY GOODNESS are we bad or what?!

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

warrior wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:44 pm
Jimbo23 wrote:
I'd be willing to bet less than 10-15% of all NWI head coaches in history even have a postseason trophy. The number of those individuals with a 65% win percentage is probably near the same. Percentage's are hard, I know. And if you're one of those that thinks trophies are the only thing that make a quality high school head football coach, you have even less of an idea than I thought you do.
I tend to be sarcastic which admittedly isn't always the best approach, so I'm going to try and have a civil conversation. If you want to trade barbs I really do have better things to do than be on this message board with about 5 people:
Not interested in the barb trading myself, I just figured with how BAD we are in this corner of the state that it wasn't an outrageous claim (in terms of Ben vs other coaches). I promise after digging through these names, even the ones with "more seasons" couldn't find ways to win while also only losing, mostly, to great teams (like 2017 Lowell, Michigan City or 2016 Mishawaka Marian).

- See above in bold and underlined. You attacked my intelligence/math while using improper punctuation. It's percentages, not percentage's. Please don't give me the "grammar police" because at one time I was the grammar police. If you're going to come at me, make sure your own house is in order.
You call it an insult, I call it an honest statement (as it applies to MOST people, I won't insult you again my man) with a grammar mistake.

-BG might end up being the greatest coach and developer of young men in Region history. But, the guy was a head coach for FOUR YEARS and had some decent success. If my memory serves, he had some dudes on that team which may or may not be attributable to him. Secondly, he then left to become OC at Munster for reasons that are unknown to me. But you have to admit those teams were awful, including the offense. Go to John Harrell and see how many points they scored in the seasons he was the OC-not good. Point being, if he's that great with the development of the Jimmy's and Joe's where was the growth? Maybe he was handcuffed by the HC? Again, I have no clue.
I was/ am under the impression that coach Geffert was NOT coaching in 2019-2021 (at least not at Munster), unless I missed him in a hand shake line or two? Doubtful seeing as he's much larger than I. Lol

-I have no personal animus toward BG. He was a heck of a player in his day at Gtown. I just disagree that a guy is in the upper echelon with so little head coaching experience. And as I mentioned earlier, let's give it 3-4 years and you can throw it in my face or vice versa. Of course, this board will have to still be up and running.
I understand your beliefs which is why I did my research and challenged you back on my other post from today to find me a guy that hasn't won anything (similar to BG and your words about him). If the board is still here in 3-4, we'll circle back and I'll eat my crow, or not...

warrior

Post by warrior »

I have not looked at the data in as detailed a way as you have. Ironically, when you look at it from a distance it seems like NWI is seeing a bit of a football Renaissance given CP and Valpo becoming relevant in 6A/5A and what looks like a high number of D1 signings as opposed to previous decades. But, numbers don't lie.

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:11 pm
warrior wrote:
Jimbo23 wrote:
Not interested in the barb trading myself, I just figured with how BAD we are in this corner of the state that it wasn't an outrageous claim (in terms of Ben vs other coaches). I promise after digging through these names, even the ones with "more seasons" couldn't find ways to win while also only losing, mostly, to great teams (like 2017 Lowell, Michigan City or 2016 Mishawaka Marian).

You call it an insult, I call it an honest statement (as it applies to MOST people, I won't insult you again my man) with a grammar mistake.

I was/ am under the impression that coach Geffert was NOT coaching in 2019-2021 (at least not at Munster), unless I missed him in a hand shake line or two? Doubtful seeing as he's much larger than I. Lol

I understand your beliefs which is why I did my research and challenged you back on my other post from today to find me a guy that hasn't won anything (similar to BG and your words about him). If the board is still here in 3-4, we'll circle back and I'll eat my crow, or not...
Sorry. For someone pubbing someone up as much as you are (right/wrong/indifferent), how did you not know he was at Munster as the OC?

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-sc ... a9a97.html
Last edited by Dann Ellenwood on Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

Dann Ellenwood wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 pm
Jimbo23 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:11 pm
warrior wrote:

Sorry. For someone pubbing someone up as much as you are (right/wrong/indifferent), how did you not know he was at Munster as the OC?

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-sc ... a9a97.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2019/06/ ... rogram/For
Can't read the times article, headline says "teaching position" though (which I was under the impression was the reason) and I swear that's all I remember from the article when I read it back when it came out. Also never shook hands with him from 2019-2021 after a game with him wearing Mustang red. Either missed him or he wasn't there. Tribune article takes me to a James Bond/ 007 article.... While enjoyable, not what I expected to see. Lol

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »